Guess what’s in-season? Yep. Butternut squash. At $1.00/per I went a bit crazy with the organic squash. Nine were purchased. Mr. Desmond is not keen on baby cereal, but loves table foods. And so, the baby food making has begun. All of the kids have very much enjoyed homemade squash as babes. I’m sure Des will be no exception. Here are some tip and instructions for making your own baby food, featuring butternut squash.
Ice cube trays
1. Cut squash lengthwise (make sure you use a very sharp knife).
2. Scoop out seeds.
3. Place about 1 cups water in a baking sheet (or 9×13), and arrange squash cut side down.
4. Bake at 350 for about 45 mins- 1 hour, turning pans once.
5. Let cool on a rack for about 15 minutes.
6. Scoop out the squash from the skin with a spoon.
7. Place in blender or food processor. Add water. Blend to desired consistency adding water as needed.
8. Spoon into ice cube trays, refrigerating left over puree, and freeze filled trays.
9. Place frozen cubes into a freezer bag.
10. Repeat step 8-9 until all puree is frozen.